Wednesday, June 15, 2005

ICE CREAM SOCIAL!!!!

Today was interesting. I get a call from my son asking if I can come to the school at noon and
help with the 4th grade's ice cream social. I say Sure, (I don't REALLY feel like going anywhere, but it is the day before the last day of school and it's probably the last thing I'll do as ROOM MOM for my son's class) so I start getting ready and drive over to the school. My job turns out to be ice cream scooper. Each of the 4th graders have had chances all semester to earn parts of their ice cream sundae. They can earn up to 3 ice cream scoops, 3 toppings, whipped cream, and a cherry on top based on math tests, assignments, etc. Then they are presented with a certificate that states how many scoops and toppings they have earned. When I get there, the teacher has all the kids line up with their certificates. My son not so slyly asks "Hey Mom! Since you're helping out do I get extra toppings???" Of course several kids nearby hear him and are listening for my answer. I of course say "No....you'll get what's on your paper just like everyone else." One of the kids says "SEE!!!! I told you!". I do have to admit when it was my son's turn in line I did give him a little bigger scoop of ice cream but I didn't make it obvious...hee hee! Anyways....there are like 200 4th graders and I've come to realize that VANILLA ice cream is the favorite among these kids. I had to scoop more ice cream than the teacher and her brother whom she recruited to help out. I felt bad for the last 75 or so kids cause it was really hot out and the ice cream was melting and we were running out too so we had to give them much smaller scoops than the kids in the beginning of the line. I swear it wasn't because I gave my son a bigger scoop....really it wasn't! =0)
One kid actually tried to come back after he had totally cleaned the bowl, I think he actually licked it! And said he had dropped the whole thing. I'm such a sucker I actually felt bad but then I looked at the teacher and she totally knew the kid was lying. What a sneaky kid!!!!
Anyways, we managed to make the ice cream last long enough for the last kid to get some and there was one scoop left for me to make a really tiny sundae....well by that time it was actually like a runny milkshake!!!! I can't wait til school's out...one more day!!!!

No comments: