Thursday, June 2, 2005

READ the labels on your prescriptions!!!!!!!!

Today REALLLY sucked! I have been nauseous ALL DAY LONG and extremely tired.
Let me back it up a few hours, LAST NIGHT I got home around 10pm and just wanted
to take some Robitussin with Codiene and go to bed. The night before I had been up
all night hacking and coughing (I have bronchitis) so I just wanted to get some sleep. So
I go home, take 2 tablespoons of what I *thought* was Robitussin w/ Codiene and go to bed.
About an hour later I still feel awake and am coughing so I go back to the kitchen and take 2
more tablespoons. I go back to bed and fall asleep. Several hours later my husband is waking me up because I'm talking in my sleep obviously from a bad dream. I go back to bed immediatly completely lethargic by this time. The next day I'm realizing when my husband gets me up
I am still totally feeling the codiene and cannot possibly get in a car and drive my 10 yr old son to school so I have my friend who lives in our neighborhood pick him up on his way to take his kids to school. My cleaning lady arrives and I try to tell her I don't feel good and I need to take
a "siesta" I "think" that means sleep right? (my cleaning lady doesn't speak a whole lot of english but she could definitely tell I wasn't doing well). As the day progresses I am feeling more and more sick like I need to throw up. I call Kaiser and they have me read to them what the bottle of medicine says, I tell them hydrocodone w/ homatropine. They inform me that is NOT Robitussin w/ codiene it is VICODIN. And that I took 4-5 times the recommended dosage for vicodin (because I thought it was RObitussin and that you can take 2 tbspns). I follow the advice nurses instructions and continue drinking lots of water trying to flush the vicodin out of my system but as the day goes by I feel worse and worse....by the time my son got home from school I had already had my mom come pick us up and take me to emergency. Ended up having to have an IV (which took 3 different people to try and get the IV in with their smallest needle) and a few shots of phenergan for the nausea. I finally got home around 8:30pm. I DEFINITELY have learned to read the labels on my medicine BEFORE taking anything. What a nightmare!!!! To top it off the vicodin was actually expired a year ago, imagine if it had been a new prescription, I might have been much worse off!!!!!! Needless to say, I have thrown out the bottle of vicodin and memorized what hydrocodone w/ homatropine is so this never happens again!!!

No comments: