Thursday, September 27, 2007

Monday....




So the downside of the week started on Monday night....
I go to run some bath water and I hear this noise "blub blub blub blub"
I remember that noise from a month or so ago and look over and sure enough the toilet water is bubbling. So, I shut off the shower. And start calling my husband. By the time he gets there the water coming up in the toilet is grey and soapy. It doesn't smell bad, more like soapy water but what the heck is with the grey water????? This can't be good. We plunge the toilet and then the water backs up the bathtub drain. I run out to Lucky's to pick up DRano, we try the drano, it gets rid of the grey soapy water but about 15 mins later when I flush the toilet to test if it goes down, the water just rises. I run to my friend's house to borrow a plumbing snake (her husband has every tool ever made!) and come back and my husband tries to fix it. No luck. So he finally calls a plumber who comes out at almost midnight to professionally snake the drain. I guess some really small roots were in the pipes about 30 or so feet out from the toilet drain and caused this to happen. I was scared when I heard roots cause that usually doesn't sound like an inexpensive problem. I was in bed at this point and just kinda listening to the conversation between my husband and the "drain doctor" (really, that's the company he is from!) only problem in listening to what they're saying is the repairman is filipino so they are speaking tagalog and I can only pick out a few words here and there. So all I hear is Oh here's your problem. Then 30 feet out, and look Roots!

Then I hear okay it's all cleared out! So I figure well if it's something major my husband will call me, but he didn't so I went to bed. Found out the next morning, they were really small roots that look as small as sprouts that you get on your sandwich. Still weird and kinda scary that they were in our pipe but hopefully we won't see them again! We've been in our house for 10 years and never had the pipes cleared / snaked out and the man told my husband it's good to have this done every 5 years or so in older houses. I'm just glad it's fixed now...did I mention our house only has 1 bathroom? That's right! So this could've been a really big problem! And with money tight right now, that's all we would need!!!! So starts the crappy week...aren't mondays lovely?!?!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate it when it is necessary to call a plumber! I know it usually always means EXPENSIVE!! Glad you got it taken care of quickly and not a huge expense!